Friday 30 April 2010

Neil Armstrong - Current Projects

LATEST

Gestalt is quite an involved installation project which I began a few years ago. It has expanded and now includes an ongoing element called:

5131 Bomb Disposal

Andrew Dodds is a member of the RAF bomb disposal team. I interviewed him before his tour of duty in Iraq and then afterwards. I was interested in all the things that go unsaid in the usual reporting of such subjects. I wondered more about what it was to 'imagine' being there versus the reality of having been there afterwards.

As I have been exploring in my work for some time, the linear nature of experience is less important to me than the duality of time experienced through it's accumulated reporting. I am fascinated by the fact that time is all we have to record happenings and emotions and yet it is an intangible - forever running away from us.

This takes the form of a dual projected video installation - with 'before' and 'after' meeting somewhere in the middle.




UPDATE
I am very pleased to have been offered a showing date in the main gallery at the DLI Museum and Durham Art Gallery for summer 2010 to preview this piece in its entirety and hope to add other venues afterwards. Initial production was supported by the Arts Council.



No comments: